The greatest resource you have is inside you. This is one of my favourite quotations, famously read out by Nelson Mandela in his acceptance speech as president of South Africa, and written by Marianne Williamson in her book Return to Love.
Born to manifest the glory
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves:
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are we not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn’t serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you.
We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
Marianne Williamson in Return to Love, quoted by Nelson Mandela in his 1994 inaugural speech as president of South Africa.
Please note: many of the newer resources are on the blog page.
- A consumer’s guide to types of psychotherapy - Here's an overview of a good many of commonly known types of therapy, evaluated in the light of my own experience of what works and what supports love, life, laughter and learning.
- All about hypnosis - Hypnosis is a wonderful - there's no other word - natural talent of the human mind which is extremely useful in therapy and healing. Basically, it is a combination of imagination and relaxation.
- Help! do I need counselling, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy or CBT? - Deciding what therapy you need is bewildering, with dozens of types of therapy, contradictory claims, and maybe no-one to ask for advice. Here is a helpful guide.
- “I talked and talked, but nothing changed” - These are typical comments about hypnosis, counselling and psychotherapy from those of my clients who have had previous experience with other types of therapy.
- CBT – what “evidence based” really means - It is "scientifically irresponsible to imply that CBT is more effective than other therapies," according to Professors Mick Cooper and Robert Elliott, William B Stiles and Art Bohart.
- CBT (Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy) – a critique - Human life is about joy, discovery, courage, truth, adventure, love, spirituality, following the inner voice, commitment, sex, passion, joy and fun. These are not words you would find in a CBT textbook.
- A self-esteem test - How much do you like yourself? Take this test, the Rosenberg self-esteem scale, and find out.
- Are you depressed? – two helpful tests - Take the two tests on this page and get a good idea if you are or not. My advice is simple, if you’re not one hundred percent happy and zestful about life and its challenges, do something about it!
- Seven effective first-aid tips for panics and phobias - Here is a first-aid kit for dealing with panics, fears and phobias. It is part of the handout which I give to clients who come to me with these issues.
- The top tip to make personal development exercises work for you - This is a practical tip for making best use of any kind of self-help or personal development exercise.
- What happens in the first session? - How does talking change things? What actually happens? This is one of the commonest questions that people ask.